Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Daily News' War Against Philly's War On German Christmas

Philadelphia's City Hall finally capitulated in the War on Christmas, and thank goodness. The end of the "controversy" means that today should be the last day we get saturation coverage of the "controversy" -- like, say, the Daily News' three opinion columnists lambasting officials for getting the "controversy" started in the first place. Luckily, all three columnists played precisely to type, indicating that you probably never have to read them again in order to know their feelings on a given subject.

Stu Bykofsky, of course, went the Muslim-blaming route: "If the words "Christmas Village" offend you, what is the basis of your offense? Are you anti-Christian? Remember those offended by the "Ground Zero mosque"? Their feelings didn't win out. Oh, that's different. Islam is a minority religion here, but it's OK to disrespect a majority religious belief."

Michael Smerconish went with dripping sarcasm: "And that creche they moved from the front of the Municipal Services Building to the JFK Plaza is what, just some baby bunking down in the hay? And how about that "holiday tree" set to be lit this afternoon? I haven't seen it, but something tells me it's not a bonsai or a fig. Maybe it's part of Mayor Nutter's Greenworks Philadelphia sustainability plan. And the Nat King Cole classics providing the village's soundtrack? Maybe the city can get the name of "The Christmas Song" changed to "The Winter Number.""

Christine Flowers let loose with pure rage against political correctness and a bit of Philly-hating: "IF SANTA HADN'T already been turned off by this city after getting pelted with snowballs at Franklin Field way back when, Mayor Nutter has guaranteed that he'll be avoiding this mediocre metropolis like the plague on a permanent basis. ... I didn't think that Philadelphia's warped experiment with diversity could sink any lower than the subterranean depths it reached with the crusade against the Boy Scouts. Was I ever wrong. The City of Brotherly Love had decided to show a little less love toward the roughly 75 percent of its citizens who celebrate a holiday that has, at its core, the principle of peace. I'm sure that made the remaining 25 percent happy, but was it really worth it?"

No. I'm pretty sure I can speak for all of us when I say it wasn't.

No comments: