So let’s review the Republican position on health care, explained here by Gingrich but shared by pretty much everyone in the party:
- Health care in general, and Medicare in particular, are bankrupting our country.
- But government should never try to figure out which treatments are effective.
- Medicare should pay for any treatment anyone wants, regardless of whether it works or what it costs.
- If an insurance company refuses to pay for a procedure, that’s their right as actors in the free market; if Medicare refuses to pay for a procedure, that’s Washington bureaucrats trying to kill you.
- We need to cut Medicare benefits, because don’t forget it’s bankrupting our country.