Monday, January 3, 2011

2011

The arrival of 2011 is just a touch bittersweet for me: It marks 20 years since I graduated from high school. Basically, I've been an adult now for longer than I was a kid, and yet I still feel like a kid. And I'm no longer even at the beginning of my adult journey, now: I'm approaching the middle somewhere. My feet and knees feel creeky, making sure that I understand that the youth inside my head is imprisoned there.

Other reasons to feel old. 2011 is...

* The 20th anniversary of "Terminator 2."

* The 25th anniversary of the Challenger disaster.

* The 30th anniversary of Reagan's presidency. He'll be as much a historical figure to my 2-year-old son as FDR was to me.

I can't remember 1976 too clearly. It was the year I turned 3, and I think I remember it mainly as the year my father introduced me to the "Captain Kangaroo" television show. 

No comments: