Thursday, December 16, 2010

About the "I (Heart) Boobies" school speech case

U.S. District Court saw some awkward moments today as a judge heard arguments about whether the word "boobies" is vulgar and therefore can be banned by school administrators.

The case came to court after the Easton School District forbid the wearing of the "I (Heart) Boobies" bracelets, and suspended two 8th grade female students who refused to remove them.

The teenagers said the word wasn't offensive to anyone, and a ban violated their right to free speech.

Given the Supreme Court's various precedents, I can't imagine the students will win their suit. And while I'm usually pretty staunch on the side of free speech, I do wonder what kind of *families* these kids come from -- that they'd go to court in pursuit of their right to be so flagrantly stupid. God bless the ACLU for standing up for even the most unsympathetic cases, but really: I can't muster any sympathy on this one.

No comments: