Monday, October 25, 2010

Does the Tea Party Even Exist?

The Washington Post tried to contact every single Tea Party group in the nation: "Seventy percent of the grass-roots groups said they have not participated in any political campaigning this year. As a whole, they have no official candidate slates, have not rallied behind any particular national leader, have little money on hand, and remain ambivalent about their goals and the political process in general."

All I'll note is that every time I critique positions that seem to fly under the "Tea Party" banner, I'm told the movement is too diffuse or too young or too something to criticize in conventional terms. Now I wonder if the movement is anything more than barely focused inchoate rage.

2 comments:

FletcherDodge said...

"I wonder if the movement is anything more than barely focused inchoate rage…"

I'm inclined to agree with you. However, it conveniently gives you something to criticize so that you don't have to closely examine the foibles of your own party. ;-)

Joel said...

Zing!