Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Reverting to pandemic habits

I find that after a couple of months of getting out, seeing people, and really enjoying it, I'm reverting to old habits from the early quarantine era -- not leaving the house much, not exercising much, and not engaging the world beyond my driveway all that much. I'm vaxxed, but the pandemic is raging once again and the old habits kept me alive for more than a year. 

But I've got to be more intentional about all this. I don't want to go back to the old ways.

3 comments:

Ashok said...

You're raising the excellent question of how not to slip into the worst habits. I've been having success with not trying to overwhelm myself with "all the good habits, all at once." A walk before breakfast, a trip to a coffee shop I like once a week--those things help as long as they're regular. And they're small. But they act like anchors for the rest of my day/mood.

Joel said...

I've built some good habits over the last year, but for whatever reason I've slipped out of them lately. Need to reestablish.

Ashok said...

Part of the problem is that one does need to feel the reward for good habits, and the pandemic is punishing in a world where rewards were hard to come by in the first place.

That raises the question of happiness in a way I've never really thought about before.