Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Why Axios got a good Trump interview and cable news (mostly) can't

A lot of talk this morning about President Trump's disastrous interview with Axios' Jonathan Swan. Here is one piece of feedback I found intriguing.


I think Laswell put her finger on why you don't see these kind of interviews* with Trump more often, despite the fact the president does a fair number of TV interviews: It's hard to watch. 

I don't enjoy watching combative TV interviews -- would rather read a transcript afterwards. For all the shouting of my opinion that I do, I'm not big on real life interpersonal conflict. So perhaps I'm projecting here, but I suspect a lot of people feel the same way. (A lot of other people clearly don't, for what it's worth.)

Why does this matter to the Trump situation? Because -- as always -- TV news tends to be more about TV than news. Ariana Pekary, who just quit her job at MSNBC, explains this: 
It’s possible that I’m more sensitive to the editorial process due to my background in public radio, where no decision I ever witnessed was predicated on how a topic or guest would “rate.” The longer I was at MSNBC, the more I saw such choices — it’s practically baked in to the editorial process – and those decisions affect news content every day. Likewise, it’s taboo to discuss how the ratings scheme distorts content, or it’s simply taken for granted, because everyone in the commercial broadcast news industry is doing the exact same thing.
Cable news decisions are driven as much by what executives think audiences will watch as what is actually news. And this gets us back to why Trump doesn't often face challenging TV questions: Executives want to make you feel a lot of extreme emotions that will keep you tuned to their channel -- but they don't want to be hard to watch.  

Chris Wallace has proven a recent exception. And it's true that Trump very frequently gives his interviews to friendly outlets. But I don't think it's a coincidence that Swan is largely a "print" journalist. (These distinctions are blurrier in the digital age.) Print journalists aren't above clickability considerations these days, obviously, but I think there's a stronger culture of "getting the news" in print than in TV -- where, again, the point is to put on a show. 

* One-on-one interviews are a different setting than briefings, where every reporter may only get one question and possibly not a follow-up.

No comments: