Thursday, July 2, 2020

Can movies help us through the dark times?

Alyssa Rosenberg:
Though I initially treated “Independence Day” and “Armageddon” as pure escapism, I emerged from my re-watches of both with a stiffer spine than I’d expected. These late-’90s hits are fortifying to watch right now, and not just because the good guys triumph or because there’s little else on offer with Hollywood on hiatus and movie theaters closed. These movies are a popcorn affirmation of two ideas that we badly need right now: first, that it’s exciting and revitalizing to tackle a challenge of world-destroying dimensions, and second, that there’s something we can all contribute to that effort.

I read Rosenberg's column one morning after watching Spielberg's LINCOLN, which is a different kindof movie -- but I came away somewhat similarly fortified. This week I've gotten stuck in a spiral of doomscrolling through Twitter, unable to pick up a book or even get much work done, obsessed by the way everything is going bad in this country.

Watching a movie didn't make the country be in less-dire shape. But it let me escape the cycle I was in, if only for a few hours, and that helped my brain reset. Watching LINCOLN was valuable, too, because as tough as things are right now, there have been times in this country that have been more deadly and destructive than what we're living through -- so far, at least. People made it through, and even made things a little better than they were, albeit at a terrible cost. Whatever happens, as long as humans survive, they will try to survive -- because, really, what else is there to do? And as long as we keep trying, things can get better.

Don't get me wrong. There's a ton of shit out there. But I needed a good movie to stiffen my own backbone, to not give into despair.

Tonight, maybe I'll watch THE PAJAMA GAME>

No comments: