Thursday, November 4, 2010

Emaw: We're the ones we've been waiting for

Emaw continues the conversation. Government is unsustainable, he agrees, but that's because our culture has become unsustainable:

"But we got ourselves into this mess. And we're going to have to get ourselves out. It's not going to be easy. I suspect that it will get much, much worse before it gets better. But I also think the best place to start is in your own neighborhood, in your own town, in your own city and state.

Democrats nor Republicans nor presidents nor senators will be able to help us. Relying on the government isn't the answer. We all need to pull together. Find people who need your help. There are a lot of great organizations and churches that are dedicated to feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, trying to heal the sick.

We need to focus on our responsibilities as citizens, not our rights. Make personal changes like eating better food and less of it. Using less energy (I personally have lowered my body temperature to 94 degrees).

Voting is nice. But it is more important to get out and help than it is to get out the vote."


There is, I should say, some small overlap between this and my contribution to this week's Scripps Howard column with Ben Boychuk. I'll be posting that later today.

No comments: